Dresdner Bank Ostra-Allee, Dresden

Panelling, doors, tables, modular furniture

Completion 1997

Photos

The Dresdner Bank complex is located in direct proximity to Dresden’s Zwinger complex and adjacent the Schauspielhaus theatre and city hall. The main building on Ostra-Allee, a protected historical monument built in 1916 for the Kaufmannschaft (trade organisation), was to undergo painstaking renovation. The general contractor on the project commissioned Deutsche Werkstätten Hellerau with the interior fittings. Closely following Professor Alberto Priolo’s design, we created wall and heating cladding, panelling for electric cabinets, doors, conference tables and modular furniture. In addition, our technical designers and carpenters also designed, produced and installed stairs with intricate risers and detailed bases. Canadian maple, sycamore and stainless steel embody the new Dresdner Bank building complex on Dresden’s Ostra-Allee street. These materials not only served for the wall panelling, but also in furnishing the individual areas. Even the conference tables are conceptions of Canadian maple, linoleum, stainless steel and etched glass. As extensive media equipment had to be accommodated in cabinets and sideboards, an understated marriage of four different types of material was used for one sideboard with retractable side walls. A stainless steel rack was given a dove grey lacquer finish, again mated with a section of Canadian maple. Variations on the Canadian maple, linoleum, stainless steel and etched glass theme were also used for the various conference tables.

Text: Anke Müller
Photo: Bernadette Grimmenstein